Our Reading List
- The Resilient Farm and Homestead (A comprehensive book, but it’s not for the faint of heart. This is truly a Master at work, and the information here is invaluable, but, for the beginner, implementing it would take a miracle. Read it anyway.)
- Edible Landscaping (This book breaks down several popular Permaculture ideas into easy projects. This is the first book I bought when we got the farm, and it’s the book that made me feel like hey, maybe I CAN do this.)
- The Vegetable Gardener’s Guide to Permaculture (Great resource, especially since most of want to grow veggies rather than unusual fruits.)
- The Holistic Orchard (A definitive work on an organic approach to caring for fruit trees.)
- Perennial Vegetables (It’s basically an encyclopedia of weird perennials to try. Especially if you live in a warmer Hardiness Zone than I do–I’m in 6a.)
- Antioch Urban Growers! This is a great place to start. Not only are all their plants non-GMO heirloom varieties, but the people you will meet here are passionate and knowledgeable!
- Want to find out you USDA Hardiness Zone? Search by zip code here.
- Want to track the sun’s path across your property? You can view satellite images here and view the sun’s position at any time of the year or day. Times for dawn, sunrise, sunset and dusk. It’s fun to play around!